Monday, November 19, 2007

Illustration Friday: Superstition

Illustration Friday: Superstition
Tempra Paint Batik
This week's theme is "Superstition". In Korea, magpies represent good luck. Supposedly if you see a magpie in the morning you will hear good news or receive visitors.
Method: I drew the bird on heavy paper. Next I painted all the areas with tempra paint except where I wanted it to be black. When the paint was dry, I covered everything with black ink. When the ink was dry, I put the picture under running water and rinsed off the ink. The ink washes off of the paint and sticks to the paper where there is no paint. After the picture dried, I went back and painted over some of the areas that looked too faded.

7 comments:

Vhrsti said...

Cool superstition! And cool painting!

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Beautiful illo. I love your description of the process. Thanks for sharing.

Heartful said...

That's a nice story about magpies. I personally like magpies, I think they're very pretty birds, but people in the UK don't tend to like them. Lovely work!!

Sara said...

I LOVE magpies so I had no choice but to click over and check this illustration out. Thank you!

Kstyles said...

Nice painting!

Laurel Neustadter said...

I really like this image. Great colors and design. Thanks for sharing your process. I want to try this!

janie said...

beautiful painting, very interesting process. Magpies are one of my favorite birds, they sit on my roof cackling at my cat who makes a very strange strangled clicking noise back as she bares her teeth at them:)